Jan 27, 2012

On My Bookshelf : Green Heart by Alice Hoffman

Posted by Emily at Friday, January 27, 2012

Random Note: I keep wanting to call the author Sarah Hoffman, after a character in a new book in writing. xD
Sorry for not having posted a review in like a week, i've been busy with school, reading, writing, my new charity, & life in general.
Anyhoo, here's the review:
I got this book: I pre-ordered it from Amazon a while ago, and was anxiously waiting for it- imagine my surprise when I went on Amazon and out of just randomness checked my orders- even though it wasn't published until February 1st, my copy would arrive the next day, the 23rd.
So I was super excited- the excitement of getting a great book doesn't ever dim- and couldn't wait to post this review, but school got in the way a- okay, okay, i'll stop writing all of this in just explanation to how I got this book. xD
February 1, 2012

I rate it: 5/5 stars

Summary: A two-fold tale of grief and hope, loss and love, told as only Alice Hoffman can.

When her family is lost in a terrible disaster, 15-year-old Green is haunted by loss and the past. Struggling to survive in a place where nothing seems to grow and ashes are everywhere, Green retreats into the ruined realm of her garden. But in destroying her feelings, she also begins to destroy herself. It is only through a series of mysterious encounters that Green relearns the lessons of love and begins to heal as she tells her own story.

As she heals, Green lives every day with feelings of loss. Her family is gone, the boy she loves is missing, and the world she once knew has been transformed by tragedy. In order to rediscover the truth about love, hope, and magic, she must venture away from her home, collecting the stories of a group of women who have been branded witches for their mysterious powers. Only through their stories will Green find her own heart's desire.

My Review: From my understanding, Green Heart is actually two pre-published novels- Green Angel, and Green Witch. The book is... different than any other i've ever read, even just with the drawings on each start of a chapter, and the way it's written.
But, as in this case, sometimes different means better.
I opened the book, and was instantly like, "Oh god, this is sooo predictable" well, in my mind at least, I was like, *SLIGHT SPOILER, BUT ONLY SLIGHT- HIGHLIGHT TEXT TO READ IT* oh, of course she doesn't say bye and is mean to her family and then some tragedy happens& they die- it's Obvious with a capital O *END OF SLIGHT SPOILER*(also, I had a stomachache so that probably contributed to my grumpy first impression of the book) but then, around 20 pages in, I realized it wasn't at all predictable anymore- and I loved it!
I was literally extremely sad when it ended- I wanted Green's story to continue badly, but I was also happy with the ending.
It's hard to summarize this book without giving anything away, so all I can say is, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars- amazing, spectacular, awestriking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review