Feb 4, 2012

On My Bookshelf: Shine by Lauren Myracle

Posted by Emily at Saturday, February 04, 2012
I got this book: the publisher gave me a copy for this review
I rate this book: 5/5 stars
Expected Publication Date: May 1st 2012 for Hardback, February 1st 2012 for Paperback
Summary: When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.


My Review: I love all of Lauren Myracle's books, so when Abrams showed me their spring catologue and asked me which books I wanted for review, I eagerly snapped this one up.
I really wasn't prepared for this book- from the summary, I could tell it was intense, but wow.
Just... wow.
This book was so heartbreakingly, wonderfully, beautifully, intense- it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the best YA books of 2012 to everyone whose read it.
It touches a subject many books don't- if you want me to use a crude term, gays, or homosexuals, well, a better definition is a hate crime against someone for the sole reason they're homosexual- or, at least that's what it looks like, since this amazing page-turner of a mystery will surprise you when it reveals who did it, and their motive.
The only thing I didn't like was the main character's name- it took me around 100 pages for me to finally get used to Cat actually being the girl's name.
But I loved all of the characters, even the mean, horrid, ones were likable.
I also really love how Cat changes during the duration of the story....
Well, it's hard to write a review without giving things away, but let me tell you one thing:
THIS IS A MUST READ. RUN, DON'T WALK, TO YOUR NEAREST BOOKSTORE, AND BUY THIS BOOK.
Also, isn't the cover just so lovely? And, you can't tell from the cover picture, but the flower and the title, 'Shine' are raised a little above the rest of the cover. And then, at the start of each chapter and the start of each day in the book there are these wonderful tree drawings and everything... no wonder it only took me one day to finish this, which I pushed to the top of my TBR pile as soon as I laid hands on it!
Lauren Myracle is such an amazing author- you should also Run to pick up her others books, a couple of my favorites being 'Luv ya bunches' and 'Eleven'
That's all for my review- have any of you read this? If so, feel free to leave a comment with what you thought of it.
Have a great Saturday and Sunday!
-Emily

2 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued about this one - I've heard great things about it from like everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should get it- it's super good(as if you can't tell from my review, lol)

      Delete

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review