Mar 8, 2012

On My Bookshelf : Cuts Like A Knife by Darlene Ryan

Posted by Emily at Thursday, March 08, 2012
On My Bookshelf : Cuts Like A Knife by Darlene Ryan
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Pagecount: 128
Publication Date: April 1st, 2012
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Summary: Daniel has been crazy about Mac from the moment she transferred to his school. She's smart, funny, loyal and fiercely independent. The only problem is, when life gets too hard for Mac, she runs away. But she always comes back.
 Except now Mac's grandmother is dead, their house is about to be torn down and she's been humiliated in front of the entire school. When Daniel finds out Mac has been saying goodbye to her friends, he realizes she's planning on leaving for good. Getting more and more desperate as he searches the city, Daniel finds an unexpected and unlikely ally. But can he find Mac before he loses her forever?

My Review: I really like this book, and was going to give it 5 stars, but something stopped me. I guess it’s just the problem it’s so short. 128 pages doesn’t sound super short, but the book is also just the size of two index cards pressed together with one at the top, if that. And that’s too short for a YA novel. I really liked the actual story though, and loved the characters, and the plot, especially since I have friends dealing with self-harm/depression; it was a very… real life story, dealing with real things that are happening all around us.
It was a very good book, and I especially recommend it if you know people who self-harm or have depression/are suicidal, and even if you don’t, it’s still a nice, quick read. I really liked it, as I did the rest of the books in the Orca Soundings series(a year or two ago, I checked out every single one that was in my library, and devoured them).
I highly recommend it, and enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review