Dec 14, 2011

On My Bookshelf: The Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins

Posted by Emily at Wednesday, December 14, 2011

These books were: checked out of the library by me, but are soon to be owned by me.
Book 1 - The Hunger Games
Book 2 - Catching Fire
Book 3 - Mockingjay

Now, my 忠實的讀者 (Chinese for loyal readers *gasp* no, I did not just run it through google translate! How dare you accuse me of that! *closes google translate tab*) I promise that after this, I won't review any more old books.
I should be getting some new books soon, one today or tomorrow, one in a week, two in a few weeks, but I don't have many new books right now, and since The Hunger Games is currently a big craze, I thought i'd review them.
This review is a review of all three books, and is not in any way for the movie.

I first checked out Mockingjay from the library, I thought the cover was cool, read the first 20 pages, had everything ruined for me, THEN found out it was part of a series. xD
but, neverless, I stopped reading Mockingjay, and checked out The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and read them.

The Hunger Games is amazing - I was rooting for either Katniss and Peeta to die, or Peeta to live.(I shall not reveal what happens, as this is a review, not a spoiler.) The end was expected though, you knew Katniss would find a way.
Peeta is the sweet, sweet, boy who has had a crush on her for forever, and intentionally burnedj bread at his parents bakery to give to her so she wouldn't starve(sweet, right?)
I really liked the character of Primrose, but found myself very annoyed at their mother- like come on, be a mom!
I also liked the character of Gale- this book reminds me quite a bit of 'Red Riding Hood' by
Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, Catherine Hardwicke and David Leslie Johnson, now that I think of it.(If you guys want me to review that, lemme know by commenting on this post!)
Gale is the sort of hot guy you need to throw in every YA book- the one that you're like, omigod, he's awesome!(that has nothing to do with his hotness level xD)
----MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES: FROM HERE ON CONTAINS SPOILERS. BEWARE!!!---
Catching Fire is okay, it's my least favorite book of all three, for a reason I don't even know- it is still an amazing book, and I think the fact that poor Katniss has to enter The Hunger Games yet AGAIN is part of what makes the book even better... you're like, Oh my gosh, poor Katniss!

Mockingjay is amazing.
Poor Primrose! (I am still trying to minimize the spoilers) and Katniss ended up with Peeta, when I wanted her to end up with Gale.... no offense, Keeta's! (What I call Katniss and Peeta fans, I am a Kale... I made up both of those spur of the moment, I don't know what they're really called.) and the epilogue really dissapointed me.
It was like oh-look-Katniss finally got her fairytale ending... BORING!

But the series is amazing, recommended to everyone by me!

2 comments:

  1. I freaking love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oldies but goodies! I really need to re-read these... I didn't enjoy the books but I saw the movie and I absolutely adore Jennifer Lawrence, so now I think the books will be more enjoyable, being able to picture her as Katniss.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review