Dec 15, 2011

On My Bookshelf: Wither in The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren Destefano

Posted by Emily at Thursday, December 15, 2011

This book was: bought by me.
Description(from the author's website):
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children.
When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape–before her time runs out?
My review:
This book gave me chills many times throughout it, and kept me on the edge of my seat, and when I was done, I would have done anything for the next book to be out then...
It's about, like it said it in the description, sixteen-year-old Rhine, who is captured, with other girls, as maybe-bride-to-be's to Linden, whom is clueless to the badness of the outside world.
You find yourself sympathizing with Linden and Rhine, and chilled by Linden's grandfather, who apparently murdered Rose, Linden's last wife's, baby, he said it was dead at birth, but a servant had heard the baby cry.
Rhine finds herself falling for Gabriel, but you sort of want her to end up with Linden, to be happy with him..
Oh, and then there's this whole thing about her other two sister-wives, the thirteen-year-old being pregnant with Linden's baby....
This is one of the most amazing Dystopian novels I have ever read... no, scratch that, one of the most amazing novels I have ever read, and I am anxiously waiting for the second book in the trilogy.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Wither but not because of the plot or the characters, I liike it because I love the poetic writting of DeStefano, the book is like reading a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I've had this book on my Wishlist ever since it was first published, but somehow I would end up looking at it and buying other books instead. I don't know why, but the general synopses I would read just didn't intrigue me as much as other books' did, so I would brush this book to the side. After reading this review, however, I've come to the conclusion that I NEED to buy this and read it, pronto

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review