Feb 7, 2012

On My Bookshelf: Daughter of The Centaurs by Kate Klimo

Posted by Emily at Tuesday, February 07, 2012
I got this book: won an ARC from RandomBuzzers a few days after it’s publication
I rate this book: 3/5 stars
Summary: Malora knows what she was born to be: a horse wrangler and a hunter, just like her father. But when her people are massacred by batlike monsters called Leatherwings, Malora will need her horse skills just to survive. The last living human, Malora roams the wilderness at the head of a band of magnificent horses, relying only on her own wits, strength, and courage. When she is captured by a group of centaurs and taken to their city, Malora must decide whether the comforts of her new home and family are worth the parts of herself she must sacrifice to keep them.

Kate Klimo has masterfully created a new world, which at first seems to be an ancient one or perhaps another world altogether, but is in fact set on earth sometime far in the future
Publication Date: January 24th 2012
My Review:
I am of very very mixed feelings over this book…
If you don’t want to read a long review, you should stop reading now, just a heads up. :3
I loved the first few pages, then just..
Blech.
Horrid, horrid, horrid book that I wasted my time reading.
UNTIL, around page 322, 40 pages from the ending, when it stopped being fuel for a campfire(just kidding, I love books, have never been camping)
While I was in the middle of this book, I spent a while thinking of ways to express my desire to burn this book, BUT that was before the last 40 pages…
I’m not saying to rush and buy this book, borrow it from a friend, as I’m sure I’ll do for the next book in the… trilogy? I think it’s a trilogy, or ask for the book for a holiday, your birthday, etc.
The truth of this book is it’s 6 pages of goodness, THREE HUNDRED pages of absolute garbage, then FORTY pages of goodness.
Oh, and there’s the fact the horses reproduce like rabbits..
Apparently, two became thirteen in about six months… uh… maybe horses began reproducing super fast when whatever happened that made centaurs centaurs, which they don’t explain?
If you’re a major horse lover, and none of your friend’s have bought this book/you live in the boondocks and your library doesn’t have it, then you may want to invest in it.
Maybe.
It’s not often I find a book I don’t like, and I loathed most of this book.
Anyways, I’ll stop blabbering a-
OH WAIT.
I’m so glad I’m drafting this on paper at 2 AM right after finishing this book, which is a first.
I was just doodling horses in the margins of this paper, and remembered another thing that I really don’t like about this book, a big problem I have with it.
The problem?
The cover.
It’s not a bad cover at all, just several times they mention Malora’s RED skin, and the ARC cover has a Caucasian… and I thought maybe they’d fix this for the finished cover, but no, it’s the only thing they didn’t change on the finished cover!
THEY DIDN’T EVEN CHANGE THE GIRL. JUST CHANGED THE WAY HER FACE WAS POINTED. AND GUESS WHAT? THE GIRL LOOKS. NOTHING. LIKE. MALORA.
*sigh* I guess this sometimes can’t be helped, but it just really annoys me. I’ll finally stop b-
OH WAIT.
One more thing.
Malora is the rudest brat in the world.
Sorry, just needed to get out my frustration at this character.
People go out of their way to do nice things for her, and NOT ONCE, not ONCE, does she ever thank them.
Okay, now I really am done with this review, sorry for me being so mean and hateful, i’d blame it on it being that time of the month(I know, too much info) but there’s another thing, and I’ll put my cards on the table if you don’t already know:
THIS BOOK JUST IRKS ME.
I couldn’t stand the main character never thanking people. I couldn’t stand the cover. I couldn’t stand many of the characters.
Oh well, maybe I’m just a freak and everyone else loved this book.
Oh wait, just got the summary from GoodReads, and I checked the rating… not even three stars.
So I’m not some abnormal freak who can’t appreciate good literature.
Oh well, have a great week!

1 comments:

  1. I read recently thos book, and I had the same problems. I loved the ides of centaurs but the book is not what I waited for

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, and it makes me so freakishly happy to get the alert that I have a new one, so thank you!

(c) by Emily Trunko. Anything copied, including short quotations, must have a linkback. Powered by Blogger.
 

On Emily's Bookshelf Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review